New World of Darkness Editions
There’s going to be new editions of the World of Darkness tabletop RPGs, or at least for right now a 5th Edition of Vampire: The Masquerade and a 5th Edition of Werewolf: The Apocalypse. (The anniversary editions from Onyx Path are the 4th editions)!
I played a ridiculous amount of WoD games—a ridiculous amount. And while I came to like other games from White Wolf more and discovered other games outside of White Wolf I probably like better overall, V:tM is what got me into tabletop RPGS. And a vampire LARP is even how I met the lovely wife.
So here are my main hopes and dreams for the new WoD lines as a whole:
- Decide whether the meta-plot matters or not and stick to the decision
- Decide whether the different game lines mesh or not and stick to the decision
- If they do mesh, adjust the cosmology so the different worlds make sense together.
- If they do mesh, publish rules for how the different powers interact and affect the different supernatural creatures
- Free the other game lines up a bit from having to fit in the V:tM template --They all could have been slightly better games if they didn’t have to be: Group A has X number of whatevers and they are opposed by Group B with X number of whatevers
- Make sure all parts of the central conceit of the game are understandable and don’t leave you shaking your head as to what’s the point again:
- See most of Changeling the Dreaming
- Wait? Hasn’t the Technocracy basically won already? Then why are we fighting them?
- So as werewolves, we’re against the progress of man and society?
- Back off on the incessant New Age, crunchy granola gobbledygook.
- Axe all the terrible stuff that highlights the worst parts of gaming and being a gamer.
- No abominations ever
- Never release anything like Dirty Little Secrets of the Black Hand—ever
- Remember to keep some humans and some mystery in the world, so ease up on pumping out new “monster-of-the-week” bloodlines, etc.